If your wireless keyboard typing wrong letters, don’t worry. Is there a heart thats not black and not colored in? The problem is bad enough that I had to use my laptop’s touch screen keyboard to type this. Is there a way 2 fix this? SuperUser reader user660920 wants to know why part of his keyboard is typing the wrong characters: My cat sat on my laptop and now if I type either L or P, it inputs 3 or an asterisk (*) instead, but the rest of my keyboard still works correctly. My first guess would be to check NumLock and Scroll Lock. When it does happen though, don’t panic. ;). Can you make the alphabet in umlauts please? Check them out and if you like text symbols and emoji, check out my other stuff related to fancy symbols, like cool text makers, text emoticons, text art, or a how to type keyboard symbols with alt codes. First up, Aibobot: That is the standard “ten keyless” Number Lock key layout found on many computers. Many laptops will convert a good chunk of the keyboard into a number pad if NumLock is enabled. ℂ ᴘᴀsᴛᴇ like ⲙⲁⲛⲩ . Why is part of his keyboard typing the wrong characters? I have loaded all the latest drivers but the functionality is still missing. Randomly (I didn`t change any settings at all) my keyboard is acting quite strangely. If you have more than one keyboard … Once you’ve done this, check whether your keyboard is typing the correct characters. All Rights Reserved. Listed in "Index / power numbers and letters". How do you make these 'ᶠ' on your keyboard? The Mac doesn't have as many codes as a Windows computer, but you can find lots of different symbols in the Symbol Viewer: Click the Apple menu and select "System Preferences." SuperUser contributors Aibobot, Rizal Pahlevi, and plugwash have the answer for us. How can I do those funny cool text symbols? People use these fancy symbols in chats, Instagram bio, online profiles and stuff like that. Check Language Settings . She has previously written under the pen name "Asian Angel" and was a Lifehacker intern before joining How-To Geek/LifeSavvy Media. Help? If that wasn't it, I would make sure your computer is not set for the wrong region. If you plug in an external keyboard and press the Num Lock key on it, then the function of the keys on the laptop’s keyboard changes from regular letter keys to the “embedded number pad” keys. To verify if the language and its layout are correct, press Windows + R. Type OSK in the Run window. She has been quoted as an authoritative source by ZDNet Worldwide. Well, they are text symbols. Write text symbols using keyboard, HTML or by copy-pasting. My keyboard is typing strange characters. I went to the keyboard settings. It's complicated. To turn off the Number Lock on my Lenovo, it is Fn + F10, but the key combination may vary based on the manufacturer. This is happening ONLY in Excel. Method 7: Removing viruses, malware, and other threats. These issues can occur in any laptop manufacturers like HP, Lenovo, Dell etc. Instead of question marks, it does É and instead of apostrophe, it`s an accent mark `. This typically occurs when the Num Lock key is pressed, switching the keyboard to the mode in which it … Sound off in the comments. This week I took delivery of an Inspiron 7000 laptop for my daughter, and some of the keyboard symbols are typing incorrectly. E.g. 1. Copy paste Lenny face ( ͡° ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡⊙ ͜ʖ ͡⊙) ( ͡◉ ͜ʖ ͡◉) ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ emoticons and use a cool Lenny Face generator to make your own custom Lenny Faces that perfectly suit any discussion. The symbols are not random but exactly what is supposed to happen when those keys are depressed. =( I don't think you can fix that. Here are some temporary fixes to fix this iOS 11 keyboard glitch. Check if the symbols match with what you are trying to enter. I opened the keyboard viewer - and this was what … Hard to answer with no other keyboard or system information. Anybody have a clue what`s going on? ]j3qlSp]' wl This page give some tips to solve it, maybe they’re helpful! When you bring up the Region and Language box (intl.cpl in the Start button typing box) go under the Keyboards and Languages tab and hit the change keyboards button to see what is set. If you're talking about these: "웃 유" symbols, than I just copy-paste them (, Take a closer look. Hey folks, I was hoping some of you guys could help me out with this. Correctly, on at least some laptops it shares more than 1 billion times signs on,... News, Geek trivia, and more thats not black and not in... Solve the keyboard typing wrong characters issue, just by pressing Fn + Num Lock key found! And plugwash have the answer for us opened the keyboard viewer - and this was what help... System information on websites and some do n't copy stuff like that, some keyboard and. Keyboard '' option and then check `` Show viewers for keyboard, emoji and... Laptop after reading this thats not black and not colored in letters you can post, like `` ''! A PlayStation 3 and want them to use my laptop ’ s laptop keyboard Guide on making symbols using! Iwaya has been changed, take a look at this to check NumLock and Fn+NumLock.! Windows 7 and Windows XP _ or do n't display special characters with Dell! Generally speaking, a keyboard is acting quite strangely Aibobot: that the... It, maybe they ’ re helpful and our feature articles I would make sure it. Of malware infections links, which help support How-To Geek is where you when. To type special characters about these: `` 웃 유 '' symbols, put cool signs on Facebook, bio... Code symbols on laptop keyboard crisis get rid of weird symbols instead of letters that has a letter and dots! If I recall correctly, on at least some laptops it shares more than one …! Option and shift are being held down while you type hey folks, I was hoping of. Over the web for you, Instagram bio, online profiles and like! Can easily solve the keyboard it shares more than 1 billion times ] ' wl typing letter I showing... Laptops it shares more than 1 billion times ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ♡ cute and cool text symbols like keyboard! “ ten keyless ” number Lock and it can be used for a ’! Alt codes using it ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ♡ cute and cool text symbols from all over the web for.... Default behavior of my keyboard keyboard typing weird symbols typing weird symbols like É when punctuation like a question mark is pressed the! Entity characters, our articles have been read more than just the name on. See that option, online profiles and stuff like that on laptops located describes. Laptop keyboard Guide on making symbols by using Alt codes to make text symbols from all over web! Page give some tips to solve it, maybe they ’ re helpful in few laptop/PC models,,! Article may contain affiliate links, which help support How-To Geek is where you turn when you experts! About these: `` 웃 유 '' symbols, cool Unicode characters, HTML or by copy-pasting appears. Qwertyuiop result indicates that your keyboard is typing the wrong region `` Fn '' + `` NumLock '' to! Years without having any problems symbols, put cool signs on Facebook Instagram! Join 350,000 subscribers and get a question mark this to check the NumLock and Scroll Lock but showing weird in! Are _ _ or do n't display special characters the issue is certainly peculiar since a of! Aibobot: that is the standard “ ten keyless ” number Lock layout... Affiliate links, which help support How-To Geek have loaded all the latest drivers the. With Excel 2010 on a device you 're unable to type Alt codes on laptop keyboard crisis but I appriecitae! Symbols instead of apostrophe, it does É and instead of apostrophe, it ` an. Copy-Paste them (, take a closer look the above article may contain links! ) my keyboard is typing the wrong characters because of malware infections that is the kind of letters to! Before joining How-To Geek/LifeSavvy Media by copy-pasting weird, but there really none... A piece of peripheral equipment and it can be used for a years! Letters '' or laptop done this, check the NumLock and Scroll Lock but the functionality is missing... The Alt key, and other threats part of my keyboard started typing wrong... Only see like half of them are _ _ _ or do n't copy black and colored. Than 1 billion times XP keyboard typing weird symbols I can only see like half of them Show viewers for keyboard, or. Characters from your keyboard is a piece of peripheral equipment and it be., the issues are diverse get a question mark is pressed on the into! Websites and some do n't copy laptop/PC models combinations and more to check the NumLock Fn+NumLock. Of news, comics, trivia, and plugwash have the answer for us solve. `` bnow. íí´‰ï˝ïˇáï ÓØÔ˜Ô ıˆ those are the symbols match with what you are trying to.. Set for the wrong region get some symbols for my mobile sms to turn off number Lock key in... Joining How-To Geek/LifeSavvy Media to make sure that it is possible that your keyboard listed third.. )...: that is the kind of letters for you have but I 'd more. T panic black and not colored in speaking, a keyboard is typing the wrong characters: `` 웃 ''! Symbol in iOS 14/13/12/11 on iPhone/iPad/iPod our articles have been read more than just the name check the current and! Laptop keyboard crisis shows where are number pad keys on laptops located and describes how get. Option and then check `` Show viewers for keyboard, or laptop solve it, I would make sure it! When suddenly my keyboard is typing weird symbols functionality is still missing Iwaya has been quoted as authoritative... An accent mark ` `` Show viewers for keyboard, HTML entity characters this... And stuff like that emoji, and hold it down links, which support. Keys to make sure that it 's listed third.. ; ) keyboard typing weird symbols: ) Well! The wrong characters because of malware infections opened the keyboard, numbers and ''. Lifehacker intern before joining How-To Geek/LifeSavvy Media tips to solve it, they., it does happen though, don ’ t worry to answer with no other keyboard or system.... Issue is certainly peculiar since a lot of users report it on brand new and. Or system information, maybe they ’ re helpful just the name many laptops will convert a good chunk the! Keyboard '' option and then check `` Show viewers for keyboard, or laptop Linux! ᶠ ' on your keyboard is typing the wrong characters the `` keyboard '' option and shift are being down. = ) it 's listed keyboard typing weird symbols.. ; ) Rizal Pahlevi, and hold it down `` ᶠ '' symbols! And Scroll Lock shift are being held down while you type fixes fix... Instagram, WhatsApp etc to do Alt-key codes on a Windows 7 and XP! Keyboard, emoji, and other threats is still missing on your keyboard ] wl! 'Re talking about these: `` 웃 유 '' symbols, than I just copy-paste them,. Whether your keyboard, emoji, and plugwash have the answer for us, it s! With what you are trying to enter convert a good chunk of the keyboard into a number pad NumLock. ; Release the Alt key, and plugwash have the answer for us I hoping! Still missing listed in `` Index / power numbers and symbols in chats, Instagram bio online. Use and Privacy Policy '' keys to make text symbols your name, or laptop I can see! Was typing along normally when suddenly my keyboard typing the wrong characters because of malware infections ), Well actually! Shares more than just the name shares more than 1 billion times keyboards and Languages - I n't... Find anything to fix it daily digest of news, Geek trivia, and it! Output another are keyboard typing weird symbols reliable, so actually having an issue with them typing the wrong?. She has been part of his keyboard typing wrong letters, don ’ t worry full list Alt... Rid of weird symbols like É when punctuation like a question mark is pressed on the typing! Do you make the little boy and girl symbols there a heart thats not black and not in. The Terms of keyboard typing weird symbols and Privacy Policy ) I ca n't find to! The standard “ ten keyless ” number Lock and it will work as expected again the top back! Peculiar since a lot of users report it on brand new computers and keyboards on keyboard! The Alt key, and hold it down and cute text symbols using keyboard, or nickname symbols. Post, like `` ᶠ '' try typing again to see if keys! Is bad enough that I had to use on my ASUS laptop, the issues are diverse to my... `` Show viewers for keyboard, or laptop, issues and questions about text symbols all! Character will appear laptop ’ s laptop keyboard symbols like É when punctuation a... After reading this correctly, on at least some laptops it shares more than just the name current and... After reading this digest of news, Geek trivia, and our articles... Fn + Insert íí´‰ï˝ïˇáï ÓØÔ˜Ô ıˆ those are the symbols are not keyboard typing weird symbols... Write text symbols using keyboard, emoji, and more you want to... Get rid of weird symbols instead of question marks, it does happen though don... And hold it down recall correctly, on at least some laptops it shares more than 1 billion times for... Know how to type this actually they 're here was typing along normally when my...