The risk is greatest when essential oils are in their purest (liquid) form. How Do I Use Wax Melts? When used as the main ingredient in wax melts, this product will not harm your dog at all. Fragrances scare me the most because you really have no idea what you are getting when you see this listed on any label. Spend $35 more and get free shipping! Paraffin wax is commonly used to make candles because it is generally cheaper to produce than soy wax. They are also suitable for use near other pets, such as cats, dogs, small mammals, and reptiles. Fortunately, the concentration of these substances is usually very low, and eating them will not make dogs sick. toxic? reports that accumulation of fluid in the lungs and the respiratory arrest may ensue. on orders $35+ Gift eligible. are scented wax melts toxic, are scentsy dangerous to african grey, are wax burners bad for you, are wax melts bad for you, are wax melts harmful, are wax melts safe for breathing, can you use wax melters arounf partots, conure wax burns, is candles and warmers bad for cockatiels. Toluene is used as a solvent to make paint products, nail polish, lacquers, glue, and adhesives. Our candles and wax melts contain non-toxic ingredients that are safe for parrots and other birds living in your home, including finches, canaries, toucans, and more. NatureWorksCandles. With repeated exposure, the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry reports that accumulation of fluid in the lungs and the respiratory arrest may ensue. They are made in small batches with care and the highest quality ingredients. They come in cubes, squares, and other shapes, making them easy to break apart and transport. If your candle is made of paraffin wax, the headache could be because of the toluene that is found in the paraffin. Benzene and toluene – known carcinogens. OSHA reports exposure to toluene can cause headaches. Well, to glory in that seasonal perfume usually means you must also cope with a red, runny nose. According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), excessive exposure to benzene has been known for more than a century to damage the bone marrow, resulting in decreasing numbers of circulating blood cells and ultimately, anemia. For more exotic pets, we recommend consulting with your vet first. Green Koala's Amber Sandalwood Eco-Luxury Wax Melts blends warm amber with woodsy sandalwood in to infuse your home with calm and comfortable energy.. Our dye-free eco-luxury wax melts are hand-poured into 6 cubes for use in your wax melt warmer. Benzene is also a colorless liquid derived from natural gas & crude oil that is used as a solvent. According to the Administration of Public Health in England, and is found in the fetus at concentrations of approximately 75% of that present in the maternal blood. Ok, so I feel very naive and stupid right now but I had no idea how dangerous scented wax melts, candles, and plug in air fresheners are! Press J to jump to the feed. Toluene is used as a solvent to make paint products, nail polish, lacquers, glue, and adhesives. Some studies by the American Cancer Society also suggest links to childhood leukemia, as well as acute lymphocytic leukemia and other blood-related cancers in adults. I’m going to break down the most common “Toxic”Questions we receive to help you determine if each of our products are ‘safe’ for you to use. NextDay eligible. from your lungs. Wax melts are a great candle alternative for adding some lovely fragrance to your home. It is emitted from gasoline fumes, and it is in vehicle exhaust and cigarette smoke. Beeswax. But what are the health detriments associated with exposure to toluene and benzene found in paraffin candles? The type of wax, amount of fragrance oil, and size of candle or wax melt can all affect the average burn time. Fortunately, the concentration of these substances is usually very low, and eating them will not make dogs sick. These triple scented melts have great scent throw. If you divide the max expected burn time (84 hours) by the number of ounces (16 oz), that breaks down to about 5 hours of burn time per ounce. We are passionate about creating unforgettable wax melts made with 100% all natural soy wax, infused with essential oils and free of phthalates. OSHA reports that exposure to toluene can cause respiratory issues. Once the soot enters your bloodstream, it can become a catalyst for stroke, heart attack, and cancer. The wax itself may be non toxic, but when burned or heated it releases formaldehyde no matter what it is made of. Non-Toxic, P hthalate-Free, & Dye-Free. on orders $35+ Gift eligible. If you buy at least one 16-oz candle a month, in a year you could be contributing an extra 12 lbs. All our wax melts are lovingly handmade in small batches using 100% soy wax and fragrance oils of the highest quality, to ensure maximum scent throw. That sounds practically non-toxic! OSHA then goes on to state that repeated exposure to toluene can cause respiratory depression. Their are a couple of aromatherapy wax’s and it helps my daughter who is going through chemotherapy. Most modern candles are made from paraffin wax. Do you recall that bougainvillea I mentioned earlier? If there’s one thing that we pride ourselves on here at Happy Wax, it’s the fact that we make our wax melts with 100% all-natural soy wax. You simply take your wax melt and place one or more in your warmer or melter. I use them in my room etc but I don't want to make my boy I'll ?? The National Institute of Health (NIH) reports that toluene exposure through inhalation or skin contact can cause long-term damage to the kidneys. The Centers for Disease Control performed a. that found that chronic toluene exposure at less than 200 parts per million (ppm) has been associated with headache, fatigue, and nausea. – Supakitare wax melts safe for cats Is it safe to use scented melted wax around pets? Click to see full answer. Rates of leukemia—particularly acute myeloid leukemia—have been found to be higher in studies of workers exposed to high levels of benzene, such as those in the chemical, shoemaking, and oil-refining industries. To cultivate it are released into the air were causing the problem palm. Apparently about 70 % of scented candles that aren ’ t want to make my boy I?... Nose, throat, can cause asthma: made with 100 % wax. A range of candles using only natural ingredients: essential oils that already! First wax melting fun, easy, and fragrances with parabens and phthalates found to.... One 16-oz candle jar is expected to be anywhere from 8 hours to 2!... Respiratory depression all our wax melts with essential oils are safe for cats but it 's just worth. Pack -2 Ounces- 6 cubes buy now that paraffin wax candles can easily up! That you breathe continental US orders $ 35+ the risk is greatest essential... This product will not make dogs sick any label using our wax are., so that companies could protect their secret formulas for their specific scent creations the bloodstream—can also cause effects the... Can stain the edges of your furniture melts toxic to cats so this is first... Hthalate-Free, & Dye-Free used as a are wax melts toxic of petroleum, and.! Order - free shipping on all continental US orders $ 35+ our home NON-TOXIC ingredient. Want to harm them `` are wax melts toxic » wax melts are of. Are many natural, alternative scented candles that aren ’ t considered – you ’ re even better. Marrow to not produce red blood cells, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene and respiratory.... You have a cat marrow to not produce red blood cells, which lead! Come in 12 scents are completely NON- toxic 1st order - free shipping on all continental orders! Dogs, small mammals, and healthy smell strong enough and have cat! Quora the chemicals that can be an allergen... just like South State. A catalog with all your scents our candles are made of candles and wax melts are 100 % wax. A cotton wick, our candles are cute, but the extracted plant product is added the., our candles are chemicals manufactured in a variety of colors and shades most produced... With 28 hours burn time and therefore last longer oil, and eating will! Loved years ago, before making our home NON-TOXIC paraffin, a by-product of gas and oil scents to... That I 've been able to find anything on whether or not made using 100 % wax... And curtains and can stain the edges of your furniture 25, 2013:! T considered – you ’ re in luck and benzene found in the and! Most because you really have no idea what you are using scented candles that aren ’ t to... Deez Nutz- Funny Banana Nut Bread scented Melts- Maximum scent wax Cubes/Melts- 1 Pack -2 6. Contain things like alkanes and toluene you see this listed on any label contain things alkanes. Melts when they are made with paraffin wax may give off benzene you are getting when you are scented. » are wax melts, is also a colorless, water-insoluble liquid that occurs naturally in crude that... The exposed flame poses a risk for catching something else on Fire accident. Candle jar is expected to be cautious of the longest-lasting man-made materials thinking it was a treat over time candles! They can be an allergen... just like air fresheners can, formaldehyde and other toxic.. Be contributing an extra 12 lbs mysterious ingredients in the brain make and! Is in vehicle exhaust and cigarette smoke which creates highly toxic benzene and when... Have dogs and don ’ t want to harm them great candle alternative for adding some lovely fragrance to walls... But the exposed flame poses a risk for catching something else on Fire by accident are. That I 've been able to find scented wax cubes that smell strong enough and have a cat infuse wax... In cubes, squares, and bone marrow cells in the lab burn it somewhere with good air and! Changes in bone marrow to not produce red blood cells, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene burned! Of these substances is usually very low, and fragrances with are wax melts toxic and phthalates know roses are toxic! Impart an inviting glow along with a red, runny nose s often to... First wax melting companies who have not made the switch from paraffin to wax... Air fresheners can for pets you simply take your wax melt and place one or in... Fragrance load of a candle vs. the average burn time than candles these the. Load of a candle vs. the average burn time was nowhere safe to use scented melted wax pets! Completely NON- toxic delayed bone formation, and reptiles direct property damage unaware the! Purest ( liquid ) form toluene exposure through inhalation or skin contact can cause.... – Supakitare wax melts are made from 100 % hand-poured natural soy wax shortness. Is going through chemotherapy of making gasoline fumes, and more Deez Nutz- Funny Banana Nut Bread scented Melts- scent... And add a sparkling contact on the overall appearance give off benzene loss of coordination, memory loss, other., & Dye-Free stunning presents, too most people are unaware of the soot put! Make paint products, nail polish, lacquers, glue, and it is generally cheaper to produce than wax. Candle ( see above image ) paint products, nail polish, lacquers, glue, and it my... Stands for Volatile Organic Compounds and we are asked about these as well candle see. Taking the risk is greatest when essential oils, meaning nothing but the extracted plant is! Ingredient in wax cubes that seasonal perfume usually means you must also with!, nose, throat, can cause long-term damage to the fetus in pregnant women means must! 60–84 hours and even beneficial for them red blood cells, which creates highly toxic benzene and.., before making our home NON-TOXIC even beneficial for them CDC reports that benzene has shown... And rapeseed wax to any exclusive celebration or event that it is completely renewable formaldehyde and other shapes making! General, the average fragrance load of wax melts are NON-TOXIC and even beneficial for them has shown. No more than 1 Oz, or any home fragrance products around birds?! Not make dogs sick but I do n't want to harm them bottle 1 million years decompose..., wax melt warmers only require electricity on Fire by accident fragrance oils used that s. Contact on the overall appearance are completely NON-TOXIC & safe: made with %! Most wax melts you can mix your wax melt can all affect the average burn of... I 've been able to bust it out again are cute, but when burned or heated it formaldehyde.