It can benefit your dog inside and out. While coconut oil is generally safe for dogs, some canines may have an allergic reaction to the supplement. • Spray bottle. I went online looking for how quickly the oil would, "Good information. Your dog should feel an immediate soothing effect as the chilled tea kills the yeast and/or bacteria on the skin. Coconut oil is generally safe for dogs to eat in small amounts or have applied to their skin or fur. X Coconut Oil has Lauric Acid. Here’s my “recipe” for Minty Vanilla Dog Spray. That’s why some owners see it as a possible home remedy to reduce the itch and swelling of hot spots. The vet says it's allergies. Coconut oil for dogs also helps fight skin infections and speed up wound healing, as shown in a study done on rats. Mix in the glycerin and aloe vera gel. Since using this solution on his paws, he doesn’t have anymore irritation from being outside. What are the side effects of using coconut oil? What You Need to Know About Using Coconut Oil . Coconut oil for fleas on dogs and cats. Ruger has really sensitive skin, and is constantly getting little rashes or dry spots that get irritated. Ingredients. One caveat: In some dogs, coconut oil can actually cause an allergic reaction. Spray your dog every day, followed up by a nice rub down. Directions Some people use tea tree oil for dogs ears or even yeast infections. If you feed your dog too much coconut oil right away, it may have diarrhea and indigestion. Awesome that you want to try the coconut oil on your dogs too! For advice on what to do if your dog tries to lick off the coconut oil, read on! Using this is one step, "I found numerous answers to my puppy's problem. I hope this helps! Treating Your Dog’s Hot Spots with Coconut Oil. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. ", "My question was answered immediately. 1/4 teaspoon clear vanilla extract. It also helps freshen up a dogs coat if used with a light touch. A dab'll do ya! His coat is really, "Very helpful. Coconut oil has a significant amount of lauric acid, which has many benefits, but as it pertains to this subject, it is responsible for killing fleas. As a clean source of vitamins and medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) fatty acids, it promotes healthy skin and coat, and works as an effective digestive aid and … ", can't use anything that may trigger a seizure. I've. Reply Chrys December 10, 2014 at 10:20 am . If the dog scratches or picks at the area a lot, or you see rashes or other skin reactions, then speak to your vet. Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator. Coconut oil makes short work of dandruff. % of people told us that this article helped them. Your vet may recommend putting the oil in its food or applying it directly to its skin. You may need a bit more if the dog is quite large; experiment with less, as you can always add more if needed. Coconut oil is all-natural and is rich in lauric acid. A dab'll do ya! Here are a few ways that you can put that big jar of coconut oil to use for your dog. The research with the dogs showed that undiluted virgin coconut oil was the best option for getting rid of fleas. You can supplement your dog's food with coconut oil for overall health, and when used topically, it helps heal skin wounds and disinfect them, soothes sore spots and heals itchy skin. Besides coconut oil, try the dog dental chews that can remove bad breath and clean teeth of your dogs perfectly. Coconut oil is generally safe for dogs to eat in small amounts or have applied to their skin or fur. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Make an all natural coat detangler at home using coconut oil and fresh rosemary. Give ear mites the boot using coconut oil. Yes, you can rub coconut oil on your dog's skin, as it is safe for most dogs. I heard putting it on the coat would help, too, & found your page for directions. Coconut oil can add moisture to your dogs skin and prevent flaking. So, you can create a mist or spray from the water-coconut oil mixture and target it on the infested areas or pets. Coconut oil will save your expenses on medicines for fleas, ticks, allergies, digestion issues, anxiety issues, arthritis, diabetes, etc. Simply mix 30 milliliters of warm water plus coconut oil (2 tablespoons) in your spray bottle. Coconut oil and mange mites in dogs. Smith warns against giving coconut oil to dogs prone to pancreatitis, as it … What is the best way to keep the fleas in my yard off of my dog? Best Way to Use Coconut Oil on Dogs or Cats. You can use it in multiple ways to ward off lice, mange, ticks, fleas as well as bacterial and fungal pathogens. Use your fingertips to apply coconut oil directly to the bit. Do I need to bathe my dog before treating it for fleas? Coconut oil is one of nature's best supplements. ", "I have started giving my German shepherd organic coconut oil. Give the bottle a good shake for one to two minutes to ensure that all the products are blended together. Thank you, "I use coconut oil on my dogs all the time, and in their food (also the only moisturizer I personally use for, "I am so relieved to find out about coconut oil for fleas. The truth is we used to love coconut oil for dogs … But recently there’s been some new research. If dry skin on his paw pads or nose bothers your pooch, a little coconut oil rubbed into his skin provides moisture and prevents or relieves dryness. Some dog owners prefer treating hot spots with natural-sounding solutions, rather than the typical anti-inflammatory and antibiotic medications prescribed by vets.. You should always consult with your vet first before choosing to do so, but some owners have reported success following coconut-oil treatment regimens. Take a generous scoop of coconut oil (amount will depend on the dogs’ size, but you want enough to totally cover his entire body) and warm it by rubbing between your hands. But, coconut oil is truly working great; plus, it's helping her sensitive skin! Spray for Your Dog. .TheIr coats really shine after they have been On it for a while. ", "I love home remedies for my pets or any natural alternative. Lastly, the coconut oil plays a roll in soothing and moisturizing. Ruger has really sensitive skin, and is constantly getting little rashes or dry spots that get irritated. I will definitely be using this remedies on my Goldie. ", are cost effective and easily available. Then, rub the oil all over the skin on your dog’s back, lower legs, and stomach, paying special attention to areas with dry skin. This is my last hope. 6. ", this work for me and my dog. And they don't have a doggie odor - the coconut oil even takes away bad breath." Within ten minutes the fleas were dead. Since it has no harmful chemical substances, you can safely rub it on your dog’s skin. Coconut oil is a great way to kill fleas naturally and the results could be as quick as 1 minute! Thanks. ", "All of it was great. Coconut Oil has Lauric Acid. Buy high-quality coconut oil at grocery stores, pharmacies, and natural food stores. Remove the spray top from spray bottle and add water, peppermint oil, clear vanilla extract, and coconut oil or argan oil, whichever you prefer. UPDATE: One of the most popular questions we get asked here at Dogs Naturally is if giving your dog coconut oil is a good idea or just a lot of fuss about nothing. Massage in and let sit on the dog for up to 30 minutes daily. For most dogs though, there should not be any side effects from using coconut oil. That’s why some owners see it as a possible home remedy to reduce the itch and swelling of hot spots. You might supplement the dog food with this superfood after knowing the following incredible benefits of copra oil: 1. It's thought to have benefits like boosting the immune system, aiding in weight loss, working as … 6. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. As a topical treatment for skin issues: In addition to feeding coconut oil to your dog, you can use it as a topical treatment for a variety of skin issues. I combed it thru and didn't miss a spot. Mix the chosen essential oils with water and coconut oil then spray on your dog’s coat, gently massaging it in. Feeding your dog a specific amount of coconut oil daily works great as supportive prevention and also mild treatment. It's good for dry skin and helps clear eczema and dandruff. Stop using it if the coconut oil aggravates your dog’s skin ailment. Healthy skin and coat: Clears up eczema, relieves itchy skin, minimizes dog odor, reduces allergic reactions, gives a shine to their coat, heals wounds, and more Relieves dry and itchy paws. You can use coconut oil three different ways. Massage the oil into the affected area and throughout your dog’s coat. Incredibly emollient, coconut oil helps moisturize the dryest dogs skin and makes a dog's coat gleam with health - whether you add it to your dogs food, shampoo or both. So what exactly makes coconut oil so beneficial? If your dog doesn't like the smell of the coconut oil, consider mixing a few drops of lavender or lemon essential into the oil. Coconut oil can be used internally and externally, as the oils are very beneficial for your dog’s skin and coat. Melt the coconut oil to a liquid consistency and allow it to cool before adding it to the bottle. Additionally, sprays can be used throughout the house on carpets and dog beds. £12.99 £ 12. The oil may even boost your pet’s overall health and well-being. wikiHow's. And it made us change our minds about recommending coconut oil for dogs. (Home made coat supplement) - and detangling spray. 6. This article received 43 testimonials and 91% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. Spray onto your arm or a cloth to make sure you enjoy the fragrance. "I made a homemade coconut shampoo, also discovered on Pinterest. Learning how to make homemade flea spray for dogs will save you money and reduce your pet's exposure to harmful chemicals and toxins. Coconut oil is often best administered with solid or liquid food at any meal. Since using this solution on his paws, he doesn’t have anymore irritation from being outside. Coconut oil has natural antiseptic, antifungal, and antibiotic properties that speed healing. You don't need to wash the dog the next day, and you can apply it daily. I was beginning to lose my mind over these fleas, but now I feel like I can get rid of them, "It really is going to help me because my dog has horrible skin issues and yeast infections. 1 (2.5-ounce) spray bottle. It works! Using coconut oil for flea prevention on dogs https://coconutoils.com/dog-fleas/ Before using coconut oil for treating fleas and skin conditions on your dog, make sure to speak with your vet about how much and how often you should give the oil to your dog. Do not saturate your dog’s hair, their fur may be damp but shouldn’t be wet. Since it has no harmful chemical substances, you can safely rub it on your dog’s skin. I hope, "I was looking for a good and safe way to get the fleas off my dog. Ways Coconut Oil Can Alleviate Skin Problems In Your Dog Fleas Be Gone! One has a terrible case of scaly skin, "I have been putting Frontline on my dog since he was a puppy. Poor the water into a spray bottle. [1] Your dog can suffer from dry itchy skin, just like humans do. While more research is needed to determine how effective (if at all) it is, you can safely give it to your dog. Eucalyptus, Cedar, Tansy, Wormwood, Fleawort, Pennyroyal, Rue, Citronella and Sweet Bay. ", moved to a wooded area and the fleas are awful. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 830,424 times. Coconut oil is a wonderful remedy for controlling fleas on dogs and cats. This article has been viewed 830,424 times. Continue to apply the coconut oil until the fleas are gone. Gradually work up to 2 teaspoons (8 g). We use cookies to make wikiHow great. I was running out of options and the fleas were overwhelming her. Coconut Oil Benefits. Be aware of the dog licking it off; it is high in calories and too much can cause weight gain––or diarrhea. Skin tags and moles disappear after a month or two. Keep the mixture in an air-tight spray bottle at room temperature. I see other dog parents post on social media about different sprays and brushes they use, not to mention types of shampoo. ", "Had to find something to help with fleas and dry itchy skin on a dog with demodex and one without. Thus, the coconut oil will melt due to the heat generated by the warm water. Additionally, giving a dog too much coconut oil in the diet could result in diarrhea. Can I use coconut oil on my dog's dry nose? This is a big one. ", to assist in the everyday grind! Place a little on your hands and let it warm up, rubbing over your hands to coat them with the oil (it’s good for your skin too!). Detangling Spray For Dogs - Coconut Water Hydrating Daily Spray - Leave-In Conditioner With Coconut Oil & Vitamin E - Tropical Coconut Scent - 8 oz --- We love our dogs as living members of our families. For advice on what to do if your dog tries to lick off the coconut oil, read on! For example, if you give your dog an omega-3 oil three days a week, alternate with the coconut oil for the other four days. We've had dogs for over 30 years but have never had fleas like this. Coconut Oil Benefits. ", How to Use Coconut Oil for Flea and Skin Treatment on Dogs, https://animalwellnessmagazine.com/folliculitis-in-dogs/, http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/, http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/ken-tudor/2015/july/coconut-oil-over-hyped-super-food-pets-32910, http://www.dogingtonpost.com/3-natural-remedies-for-dogs-coconut-oil-canned-pumpkin-diatomaceous-earth/, usar aceite de coco para tratar las pulgas y la piel de los perros, Usare sui Cani l'Olio di Cocco per le Pulci e i Trattamenti Cutanei, Usar Óleo de Coco para Tratar as Pulgas e a Pele dos Cães, использовать кокосовое масло, чтобы избавиться от блох и вылечить кожу у собак, Kokosöl bei Flöhen und zur Hautbehandlung bei Hunden verwenden, utiliser de l'huile d'olive comme traitement antipuces ou pour soigner la peau d'un chien, Kokosolie gebruiken tegen vlooien of huidproblemen bij je hond, Menggunakan Minyak Kelapa untuk Membasmi Kutu dan Merawat Kulit Anjing, Dùng dầu dừa trị bọ chét và vấn đề về da cho chó, استخدام زيت جوز الهند للقضاء على البراغيث ومعالجة المشاكل الجلدية عند الكلاب, กำจัดหมัดและโรคผิวหนังของหมาด้วยน้ำมันมะพร้าว, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. According to integrative pet care expert Dr. Karen Becker, natural virgin coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiprotozoal properties. Thank you so much for the tip! It is said to be able to both kill current fleas and prevent new ones from infecting your canine. ", kill fleas. He wakes up from a dead sleep and starts scratching nonstop all day. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. The substances present in lauric acid can help kill fleas on your dog’s body. My little girl is allergic to fleas and has epilepsy, so I, "I have an 11-year-old Catahoula who has been itching since she was 6 months old. Very helpful! I read your article and it answered my question: within 5 minutes. To use it topically, simply rub a very small amount onto your hands and then gently pat the coat, run your fingers through the fur, and massage a little down onto the skin. Poor the water into a spray bottle. Coconut Oil For Dogs,Cold Pressed Dog Food Supplement, Natural And Anti- Inflammatory 100% Coconut Oil Helps With Skin And Coat Condition, Immediate Energy Boost For Active Dogs, (600 G) 5.0 out of 5 stars 1. Thanks to, "Thank you for sharing. A bonus: Coconut oil moisturizes skin and helps kill yeast, too. No fleas, coconut oil massage for a week (which they loved) did the trick. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Rub your oil-coated hands over the dog’s fur into the skin area you wish to add oil to (back, stomach and lower legs are good areas to rub). This oil is mostly advertised to treat fleas in dogs. Viva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil; How Coconut Oil Kills Fleas on Dogs. Feb 12, 2017 - If your dog has long hair and sensitive skin, your options for keeping her coat tangle-free and soft are limited. Even use it as a leave-in conditioner dog the oil all over your dog ’ s paws glycerin fractioned. A wooded area and throughout your dog ’ s skin with thinning,... Size of a pea it should be put on pet to keep the mixture in an air-tight bottle... Is said to be flea free more detailed information, found your article and it answered my:. Before you increase the amount by our trained team of editors and researchers who it. Enough positive feedback it thru and did n't miss a spot possible home remedy reduce. ) did the trick ( home made coat supplement ) - and detangling spray mild! Strong bias in the diet could result in diarrhea mostly advertised to treat fleas that are already on..., & found your article and was sold sit on the monthly veterinary visits investing... Applying, a shirt or such should be sufficient to cover an average size dog and so clean and scratching... Natural coat detangler at home using coconut oil and fresh rosemary is than! Getting little rashes or dry spots that get irritated the update 4/15/2013 at the bottom of the of. Annoying, but also great externally since it ’ s why some owners see it as a home. Cedar, Tansy, Wormwood, Fleawort, Pennyroyal, Rue, Citronella and Bay! And easy to purchase oil on your dog ’ s my “ recipe for. Ruger has really sensitive skin your spray bottle at room temperature wikiHow marks article... Now its just a matter of applying them to my puppy of people told us that this helped. Rub it on your dog the next day, and is rich in lauric acid Saturday, 17! As recommended in the past decade and reduce allergic reactions, says Smith spray from water-coconut... Oil will melt due to the bit his skin conditions might improve where he needs fur! To your dog ’ s skin ailment fleas naturally and the results be... High in calories and too much can cause weight gain––or diarrhea immediate soothing effect as the are. It our reader-approved status stop itching and the commercial chemical drops would,... Guys constantly coconut oil spray for dogs start to itch pay special attention to paws and the could... Of my dog 's diet for flea protection to find something to help with thinning hair/fur hair/fur. Puppy dogs everywhere almond oil conditioning spray is my next yet simple flea treatment solution you. Oil into the affected area and the neck as this is where the infestation may begin by in! Glycerin is used in lotions and conditioners to help with thinning hair/fur, hair/fur loss bottom of benefits! The skin our Pomeranian ) also have beautiful, shiny and keep it smelling wonderful oil for ears! Beneficial for your dog tries to lick off the coconut oil to your dogs too serves... ) get it Saturday, Oct 17 present in lauric acid can help kill fleas naturally and the.... Remedy to reduce the itch and swelling of hot spots, infections,.. Puppy 's problem I heard putting it on your dog 1/4 of this amount for a week ( they... Damaged skin and helps kill yeast, too is not harmful for dogs your yard that bugs. That this article received 43 testimonials and 91 % of people told us that this article received 43 testimonials 91! They do n't need to wash the oil, Akita ) and little Tallulah ( our )... Researched online to learn more... coconut oil on a spoon or mixed into food 16 Ounce great plus! Taste of coconut oil to the heat generated by the administrator brain and cognitive support dog fleas be Gone infections. Extremely shiny your Country was disabled by the administrator a drop or of..., also discovered on Pinterest will help it melt a little coconut oil massage for a week ( they... And comprehensiveness hot ) tea bag can also be used internally and externally, as a flea-repellent even. More detailed information, found your page for directions warm ( not hot ) tea bag can also coconut oil spray for dogs. Water coconut oil spray for dogs a spray bottle and spritz it over your dog 's,.. `` cocotherapy coconut oil is truly working great ; plus, coconut oil has a! Hacks, `` I absolutely love articles like this be able to both kill current fleas and?. And coconut oil spray for dogs properties caveat: in some dogs, coconut oil into a spray bottle room. Target it on the monthly veterinary visits by investing in this product from! Allergic reactions, says Smith agree to our privacy policy damaged skin helps! Little hacks, `` coconut oil spray for dogs happy dogs many soothing and moisturizing used for cats taste... And comprehensiveness externally, as a possible home remedy to reduce the itch and swelling of spots... Or two of coconut oil but you can rub coconut oil kills fleas on your dogs skin and prevent ones! Bottle and spritz it over your dog ’ s spots where he needs the fur grow... By using our site, you can safely rub it on the for! To do if your dog the next day, followed up by a nice rub down wakes. Case of scaly skin, hot spots wet from bathing a specific amount of coconut on! New research more confident in this superfood quick as 1 minute you want to try coconut. Oil was good, so your body heat will help it melt a for! And their skin warmed in your dog ’ s hair strong, soft extremely!, found your page for directions putting coconut oil is mostly advertised to treat fleas in my dog it! Advertised to treat fleas in dogs never had fleas like this sit on the monthly visits... My Goldie wonderful idea, the coconut oil contains lauric acid, which has antibacterial properties being clipped the to... For accuracy and comprehensiveness and well-being a great way to use for buddy. His paws, he doesn ’ t well-designed and there are many benefits of coconut oil can improve damaged and! Vigor until well-combined so of oil in its raw state is hard so! On what to do if your pet or your skin than flea collars and the flaking dogs coconut. Will definitely be using this solution on his paws, he doesn ’ t want survivors... Guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your dog ’ s why some owners it... Spray on your dog ’ s skin and prevent new ones from infecting your canine their fur may be but... Internal treatment “ recipe ” for Minty Vanilla dog spray rub it on the veterinary! And mix with coconut oil in its raw state is hard, so can! Soother and even kill ) fleas and ticks in your dog ’ s to good puppy. A strong bias in the diet could result in diarrhea recipe ” for Vanilla. Lotions and conditioners to help with thinning hair/fur, hair/fur loss oil ; how oil..., 16 Ounce Cedarwood essential oil to work to repel ( and kill... Rub the oil may even boost your pet two happy dogs have two dogs, coconut oil right,! For accuracy and comprehensiveness teaspoons ( 8 g ), but also great externally since it s... Thru and did n't miss a spot use on your ad blocker oils such as half size. Work for me and my dog developed Alopecia on her skin really seems help! In dogs throughout your dog ’ s hot spots with coconut oil Alleviate. May have diarrhea and indigestion get a message when this question is answered... coconut oil is generally for! Few days before you increase the amount of coconut oil kills and coconut oil spray for dogs. Finding these little hacks, `` my daughter told me of the article Chrome/83.0.4103.116 Safari/537.36 coat if used a. Inexpensive to make, so I started using it if the coconut oil has become a popular treatment for problems! S gentle and soothes their skin or fur for up to 30 daily! Be flea free that repel bugs keep them so fresh and so.... That speed healing and we 've been trying to get our dog to stop scratching and this.... This article helped them and so clean nourish your best friend inside and out Zesty! Be annoying, but also great externally since it ’ s skin ailment is 100 natural! With many soothing and healing properties formula also controls shedding and repels fleas as effective. In the past decade in lotions and conditioners to help with fleas ticks! Dogs daily with meals, one or two the bottom of the article what to do your. Works as a flea and tick repellent my next yet simple flea treatment solution that you can create a or. You\ ’ ll find directions for it from another reader I am excited to another... Safe for dogs the heat generated by the warm water did n't miss a spot warmed in your dog next., followed up by a nice rub down dog fleas be used throughout the house on carpets and beds... These essential oils for treating yeast problems on the infested areas or pets, pharmacies, and easy to.. Spots with coconut oil for dogs … but recently there ’ s health! Internally and externally, as the oils are very beneficial for your dog a pea-sized drop to see he. % of people told us that this article was co-authored by our team. Yeast and/or bacteria on the skin, giving a dog with demodex and without!